mvBase-User Exit Question
Curt
2007-02-06 20:01:02 UTC
Can anyone answer if there a user exit that reads a frame directly into
a variable on mvBase?
Tony Gravagno
2007-02-07 01:02:15 UTC
Post by Curt
Can anyone answer if there a user exit that reads a frame directly into
a variable on mvBase?
I don't think there is, and with good reason: What would you do with
the segment marks?

Depending on what you're doing, you might consider using the DUMP
command and capturing that output. To differentiate segment marks,
D3(*nix) has the X option and others which allow us to dump frames
completely in hex, follow forward links, etc. I've forgotten what
options mvBASE has on DUMP, sorry.

If you're completely desperate then you can always DUMP frames in
ASCII, and capture and parse the results.

I apologize if I'm forgetting an exit or other options in mvBASE that
might help. Use it or lose it, eh?

Curt
2007-02-07 12:08:27 UTC
I have an app that uses the 'Dump' verb now to get into the spooler
frames. I have to issue a Capture off to stop the display of the data to
the screen, even though I am doing an execute with a capturing and a
returning they are still displaying. My goal was to improve the speed of
getting to the data within the report. End result is to get a spooler
hold file out to a dos text file.

In article <***@4ax.com>, g6q3x9lu53001
@sneakemail.com.invalid says...
Peter McMurray
2007-02-07 19:53:17 UTC
Hi
I don't have mvbase but surely it has spool to terminal like d3. I know
several users that just turn capture on in Hostaccess and spool to terminal
to achieve this.
Of course COPY PEQS nnn to DOS:Whatever is better in D3.
Peter McMurray
Tony Gravagno
2007-02-07 22:55:48 UTC
Or you can spool to a Windows file rather than to a physical printer,
then use UREAD or other more efficient mechanisms to get at the data.
DUMPing frames is one of those neat Pick things that we're proud of
when we get it to work, but when it's time for migration we find that
sort of code very costly to convert - in cash and to reputations.

Brian Speirs
2007-02-08 07:06:06 UTC
To hush the display on the screen use:

EXECUTE \CAP-HUSH-ON\
EXECUTE statement CAPTURING WHATEVER
EXECUTE \CAP-HUSH-OFF\

Cheers,

Brian
merryplayer
2016-03-04 13:20:31 UTC
You can always EXECUTE a "DUMP ":framenumber capture the output, and turn it into a record - it is then , in your variable - using DB, and not PROC which could take more time to program.
Check for the EOItem markers and it's all yours. (SEQ command with 254, etc)
Use various DUMP modifiers to get the complete record if your item is more than 2048, or whatever your frame size is.
Simply, YES, but beware using UEs, Re-usable code by the next developer who comes along is better. Although I do use many UEs myself, quite regularly, but only because my fingers do the work before I've used my brain to tell them - use the equivalent?

Long Live mvBase
wjhonson
2016-06-07 17:05:35 UTC
Post by Curt
Can anyone answer if there a user exit that reads a frame directly into
a variable on mvBase?
I second the idea of using DUMP but you should be careful to use the Hex option as a strict DUMP can return FF's and other items which will badly affect your BASIC variable.