How do I SSELECT items where certain attributes(s) are unique in D3?
Jay
2013-02-06 21:24:45 UTC
OK this should be basic stuff but damned if I can cypher this out...

We all know that:

SORT MY.FILE BY 3 BREAK-ON 3 DET-SUPP

Gives a nice list of unique attribute 3's. But can I do that with SSELECT?

Thanks in Advance,

Jay Alosa
Brian Speirs
2013-02-07 07:30:56 UTC
Hi Jay,

This forum is now abandoned - find its replacement at:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/mvdbms

As one answer to your question, try using QSELECT. Its syntax varies
depending on which database you are using. The OpenQM documentation says:

"The QSELECT command constructs a select list from the content of
selected records.

Format

QSELECT {DICT} file.name {id... | * | FROM list} {TO list} {SAVING field}

where

- id... is a list of records to be processed.
- * specifies that all records are to be processed.
- FROM list specifies a select list of records to be processed.
- TO list specifies the list to be created. If omitted, the default list
(list 0) is created.
- SAVING field identifies the field from which items are to be taken. If
omitted, all fields in the record are processed. The field item may be a
field number or a field name.

The QSELECT command reads selected records from the given file and
constructs a select list from the content of the named field or all
fields. Multivalued fields are expanded to give a separate list entry
for each value or subvalue.

If the default select list is active and there are no record ids or FROM
clause on the command line, this list is used to control processing."

Hope this helps.

Brian
Jay Alosa
Frank Winans
2013-10-29 22:24:12 UTC
In D3, GET-LIST foo (U
{list must be sorted by item id}

example:
gl foo ; sselect foofile ; sl foo ; gl foo (u
sselect foofile yadda-yadda

Post your query in google groups and shave months off the response time!