Setting font weight both on printing (EPSON LX-300+) or in VT
Engel
2007-06-01 08:16:58 UTC
Hello All,

I'm new here in PICK, can you give some example that prints a certain
text on screen or to the printer on bold weight? I wish to have a
report wherein the total amount of the invoice is printed bold.

Any help are greatly appreciated. Thank you
BobW
2007-06-01 09:35:36 UTC
Post by Engel
Hello All,
I'm new here in PICK, can you give some example that prints a certain
text on screen or to the printer on bold weight? I wish to have a
report wherein the total amount of the invoice is printed bold.
Any help are greatly appreciated. Thank you
In the program that prints your report, you need to send the escape sequence
to turn bold printing on before your total value then send the escape
sequence to turn it back off afterwards.

That's a simple statement for me to say because there may be a lot more
involved than that, depending on a number of things, such as are there other
printers that this report might be sent to? Maybe a display, too, since
you're asking about going to the screen.

Think of it as a stream of data that's being sent to the printer, which is
exactly what it is, and you just have to insert the sequence of characters
that the printer is looking for that says BOLD ON then when you want it to
need to look in your manual for that printer and find the right sequence.
Most likely it will start with the <ESC> key value, or 27, followed by a
couple more characters.

Good luck.
BobW
Engel
2007-06-01 10:25:52 UTC
Post by BobW
[...]
Thanks, I already did that, "Bold-ON" is "E" while "Bold-OFF" is "F"

Print Char(2): "E": "Churva": Char(27): "F"

Still, that code didn't work. Help me!
Kevin Powick
2007-06-01 12:22:49 UTC
Post by Engel
Thanks, I already did that, "Bold-ON" is "E" while "Bold-OFF" is "F"
Print Char(2): "E": "Churva": Char(27): "F"
Still, that code didn't work. Help me!
Are you sure the sequence should start with Char(2), or is that a
typing mistake?

What you have posted seems correct *if* that is what your printer
manual describes as the code sequences.
Engel
2007-06-04 02:24:06 UTC
Post by Kevin Powick
Post by Engel
Thanks, I already did that, "Bold-ON" is "E" while "Bold-OFF" is "F"
Print Char(2): "E": "Churva": Char(27): "F"
Still, that code didn't work. Help me!
Are you sure the sequence should start with Char(2), or is that a
typing mistake?
What you have posted seems correct *if* that is what your printer
manual describes as the code sequences.
I'm sorry it is just a typographical error, so it must be Char(27) not
Char(2).

I have visited some manual and the code goes that way, it says that
Char(27)+E turns boldface ON, while Char(27)+F turns it off. Like what
I have said, I use those snippets but, it fails. If someone who has
the same printer of mine could test, I love to hear it from them the
codes I have to write. Thanks
Mike Wooding
2007-06-04 13:50:52 UTC
Post by Engel
I'm sorry it is just a typographical error, so it must be Char(27) not
Char(2).
I have visited some manual and the code goes that way, it says that
Char(27)+E turns boldface ON, while Char(27)+F turns it off. Like what
I have said, I use those snippets but, it fails. If someone who has
the same printer of mine could test, I love to hear it from them the
codes I have to write. Thanks
Engel

I haven't one here now (it went a long time ago), so I can't test it for
you, but I have used Epson LX printers in the past.

From memory, the printer has two modes of operation, "ESC /P" mode and "IBM
2380 plus" mode. (Others in the thread have been posting PCL sequences,
these won't work with your printer. In fact, if memory serves me correct,
the LX-300+ has bar code capability and I seem to recall ESC:"(" was the
sequence to switch into bar code mode, so if you've been entering some of
those other escape sequences goodness only knows what you'll have been
getting out.) :-)

The "ESC E" sequence *should* work if the printer is in ESC/P mode, but I'm
not sure it will work in IBM mode, and I'm sorry, but I can't remember what
the correct sequence would be were that the case.

In your shoes, I would simplify the problem. Forget getting bold to work in
your report and just try getting it to work full stop (or period depending
which side of the pond you are).

So, create a simple program, something like the following:

001 PRINTER ON
002 PRINT "NORMAL"
003 PRINT CHAR(27):"E":"BOLD"
004 PRINT CHAR(27):"F":NORMAL AGAIN"
005 PRINTER CLOSE

Do you get normal text, bold text and normal text again? If not, something
is clearly wrong and further investigation is required.

I'd then look at switching the printer into hex mode to check that the
characters are being recieved correctly. You should see "1B : 45" for bold
on and "1B : 46" for bold off.

If that's fine, you know it isn't a communication issue so it must be a
printer setting issue.

Is bold supported in the font you're using? Please try the above and let me
know how you get on.

In the meantime, I'll put my thinking cap on and see if I can come up with
anything else.

Regards

Mike Wooding
y***@gmail.com
2012-07-19 07:43:42 UTC
hi mike,

this
&gt; I&#39;m sorry it is just a typographical error, so it must be Char(27) not
&gt; Char(2).
&gt;
&gt; I have visited some manual and the code goes that way, it says that
&gt; Char(27)+E turns boldface ON, while Char(27)+F turns it off. Like what
&gt; I have said, I use those snippets but, it fails. If someone who has
&gt; the same printer of mine could test, I love to hear it from them the
&gt; codes I have to write. Thanks
Engel
I haven&#39;t one here now (it went a long time ago), so I can&#39;t test it for
you, but I have used Epson LX printers in the past.
From memory, the printer has two modes of operation, &quot;ESC /P&quot; mode and &quot;IBM
2380 plus&quot; mode. (Others in the thread have been posting PCL sequences,
these won&#39;t work with your printer. In fact, if memory serves me correct,
the LX-300+ has bar code capability and I seem to recall ESC:&quot;(&quot; was the
sequence to switch into bar code mode, so if you&#39;ve been entering some of
those other escape sequences goodness only knows what you&#39;ll have been
getting out.) :-)
The &quot;ESC E&quot; sequence *should* work if the printer is in ESC/P mode, but I&#39;m
not sure it will work in IBM mode, and I&#39;m sorry, but I can&#39;t remember what
the correct sequence would be were that the case.
In your shoes, I would simplify the problem. Forget getting bold to work in
your report and just try getting it to work full stop (or period depending
which side of the pond you are).
001 PRINTER ON
002 PRINT &quot;NORMAL&quot;
003 PRINT CHAR(27):&quot;E&quot;:&quot;BOLD&quot;
004 PRINT CHAR(27):&quot;F&quot;:NORMAL AGAIN&quot;
005 PRINTER CLOSE
Do you get normal text, bold text and normal text again? If not, something
is clearly wrong and further investigation is required.
I&#39;d then look at switching the printer into hex mode to check that the
characters are being recieved correctly. You should see &quot;1B : 45&quot; for bold
on and &quot;1B : 46&quot; for bold off.
If that&#39;s fine, you know it isn&#39;t a communication issue so it must be a
printer setting issue.
Is bold supported in the font you&#39;re using? Please try the above and let me
know how you get on.
In the meantime, I&#39;ll put my thinking cap on and see if I can come up with
anything else.
Regards
Mike Wooding
Hi mike,
this thread maybe to old, but i just wandering if you can help me with the escape code for bar code in LX 300 + . You said, that LX 300+ is capable of printing bar codes, which is a good sign for me..
Your help really appreciate mike..

shynn
Mike Wooding
2012-07-20 17:53:03 UTC
Post by y***@gmail.com
Hi mike,
this thread maybe to old, but i just wandering if you can help me
with the escape code for bar code in LX 300 + . You said, that LX
300+ is capable of printing bar codes, which is a good sign for me..
Your help really appreciate mike..
shynn
Hi Shynn

First things first, many people who used to post here have moved over to the
Google Group [mvdbms] and you'd be better posting future questions there.

Now back you your query above, Epson have all the manuals for the LX 300+ on
their web-site.

The following link takes one there:
https://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?infoType=Doc&oid=14340&prodoid=10526&category=Products

Barcode printing details are specified in the User Manual which can be
retrieved directly using this link:

http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/lx300p/lx300pu1.pdf

Barcode commands are detailed on pages A-15 through A-17 (pages 122-124 in
the PDF).

If you need more specific help, please post back with more details of what
you're trying to do and I'll try my best.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Mike

m***@yahoo.com
2007-06-01 14:55:19 UTC
Post by Engel
Post by BobW
[...]
Still, that code didn't work. Help me!- Hide quoted text -
Assuming you meant Print Char(27):"E" then that actually sends a
printer reset command to your printer (assuming PCL emulation).

The following code will work if you're printer handles PCL and you're
printing direct to the printer (i.e. not via a Windows Driver).

PRINTER ON
PRINT CHAR(27):"(s3B" ;* Select Bold Weight
PRINT "TEXT TO BOLD"
PRINT CHAR(27):"(s0B" ;* Select Normal Weight
PRINT "NORMAL TEXT"
PRINTER OFF
PRINTER CLOSE

Matt
Ron White
2007-06-04 15:28:22 UTC
Post by Engel
Hello All,
I'm new here in PICK, can you give some example that prints a certain
text on screen or to the printer on bold weight? I wish to have a
report wherein the total amount of the invoice is printed bold.
Any help are greatly appreciated. Thank you
I have not used Epson printers for some time now but
I still have a manual for the LX-800 printer. It shows
Esc E to select emphasized mode and Esc F to cancel and
Esc G to select double-strike mode and Esc H to cancel.

Maybe these codes will work on your 300.

Ron White

Mark Brown
2007-06-05 03:31:00 UTC
Something else to try, though there's no guarantee...

Write a test program like:

printer on
print @(-13):"Bold Text":@(-14):" Regular Text"
printer close

then, from tcl, try:

ASSIGN-FQ 100, EPSON.xxx (C
SP-ASSIGN F100
RUN TEST.PRINT

The Assign-FQ process uses the Devices file to generate a table of
terminal/printer control codes. The C option compiles it to machine code.
There are a couple epson devices defines, perhaps on might work for you.

Mark Brown