D3 on windows 7
chrisjpotts
2012-07-18 09:24:27 UTC
Hello,

I have a new PC using windows 7 and I want to run D3 on it. In the past I moved from NT to XP by instaling D3 from the software cd and then fileloading from a filesave and all has been well. I have now moved to a pc with windows 7 and when I try to install from the cd I get the message "Runtime error 5 - invalid procedure call". I have tried running the cd with the compatability mode "windows NT 4" but no different.

Could anyone tell me if I can run D3, it is D3 7.1.2, on windoows 7, or am I flogging a dead horse.

Thanks for any help,

Chris
Kevin Powick
2012-07-18 14:18:56 UTC
Post by chrisjpotts
Could anyone tell me if I can run D3, it is D3 7.1.2, on windoows 7, or am I flogging a dead horse.
That's a very, very old version of D3. You really should consider upgrading. I'm positive it's not certified for Windows 7, though I do not think that is the problem with installation.

Have you tried copying the contents of the CD to a folder on the W7 machine and running the installation from there?

Other than that, I've not had trouble installing D3 by downloading the desired version from the TigerLogic FTP site. However, the oldest version you'll find there is 7.4

Kevin Powick
Stefano
2012-07-18 20:34:02 UTC
Post by chrisjpotts
Hello,
I have a new PC using windows 7 and I want to run D3 on it. In the past I moved from NT to XP by instaling D3 from the software cd and then fileloading from a filesave and all has been well. I have now moved to a pc with windows 7 and when I try to install from the cd I get the message "Runtime error 5 - invalid procedure call". I have tried running the cd with the compatability mode "windows NT 4" but no different.
Could anyone tell me if I can run D3, it is D3 7.1.2, on windoows 7, or am I flogging a dead horse.
Thanks for any help,
Chris
You need D3/Windows 7.5.5 (minimum) cause RPC changes introduced by
Microsoft starting with Vista; for 7.5 the latest is 7.5.8, but if You
upgrade please consider v.9 (actually 9.0.4).

Stefano
chrisjpotts
2012-07-19 12:49:49 UTC
Post by Stefano
You need D3/Windows 7.5.5 (minimum) cause RPC changes introduced by
Microsoft starting with Vista; for 7.5 the latest is 7.5.8, but if You
upgrade please consider v.9 (actually 9.0.4).
Stefano
Hello Stefano, thanks for your reply. I have a small contract to maintain a Local Authority Mortgages system which I wrote in the nineties and which is now coming to an end because all but a very few of the loans have been repaid. The PCs which run the system for my client are not going to be changed, but the one I have here at home which I use for maintenance and to play with, I have changed for a Windows 7 machine. For the amount I use it, it is not worth paying for an up grade. I have looked on the tigerlogic website, but could not find how much an upgrade would cost.

Thanks anyway for your advice.

Chris
chrisjpotts
2012-07-19 12:53:04 UTC
Thanks also to Kevin, whos reply has been deleted, I had not tried your suggestion, but obviously have now, and the error message appears as before.

Thanks

Chris